Sunday, May 07, 2006

culinary doings

It’s a Saturday afternoon. Katie J. is grilling a cheese sandwich. I’m making myself a salad. I walk by her sandwich on the stove and notice that it’s burning. I tell her and she runs to rescue it. I make fun of her cooking abilities and then try to lighten my teasing by telling her I’m just as bad. But I’m not, I think to myself. I finish my salad and put dressing on it. I take a huge bite, full of dressing, and feel like I’m going to die. What’s wrong, Katie asks me. I can’t talk because my mouth is burning too much. Did you put something hot on it? Drink milk she says. I drink the milk but my lips are still on fire. I look at what I put on my salad. A blend of hot peppers, salts and vinegar. I’m holding a cold, wet dish rag to my lips as Katie rinses my salad free of the stuff. She laughs and I laugh and she says aren’t we a pair in the kitchen. We sit at the table to eat and have a good conversation about life.

2 comments:

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

ouch. i'm sure if y'all actually had time to cook, you'd be great. i remember in school that you made the most awesome lentil soup in the crockpot. it's just hard to cook and eat on the run.

Katie said...

Layla, maybe you should refresh Sarah on some of the cooking stories you told me in school. I remember you had a couple that were hysterical! ;-)